Friday, April 16, 2010

Fine Arts Friday


It's time to start a new term for our Fine Arts Friday. Fine Arts Friday idea was borrowed from Simply Charlotte Mason website. I've added a few more activities but the point is that on Fridays, we do something different and fun.

We start off with Music Appreciation. This term we are focusing on the Orchestra. We are using the book The Story of the Orchestra and will be focusing on three performances as suggested by Mater Amabilis. The next two terms will be on Ballet and Opera.

For Artist Studies, we are studying Renoir. I've downloaded six of Renoir's art prints that have high resolution and sent them to be printed at the photo center. The results are spectacular and the kids really enjoy adding the little 4x6s into their individual sketch books. I usually give a brief introduction to that particular piece and we just talk about it. Next week, we might sketch what we see, trace over the photo or color a coloring page. We have borrowed the book Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artist to read over the twelve weeks.

For handicrafts, they choose a project from Ray Gibson's book. Love this book.

For Liturgical year, we will follow Catholic Mosaic's book suggestions, do a coloring page from Fenestrae Fidei and sing a hymn. We might also do something more crafty in the afternoon. For example, today we dyed Easter eggs and will have a Easter egg hunt in our backyard. Next week is the Feast of St George and the kids have always loved making Dragon bread - bread shaped into a dragon with almond slices for scales. *grinz*

Last but not least, we write a letter to be dropped off at the mailbox. The kids chose the stationary and off it goes.

You might have noticed that we haven't gotten around to Nature Study. *laughs* I'm a flop and I'll admit it. So we try to go to the local nature center once a week and I have a professional take over. Nothing shameful about outsourcing! *grinz* We also do Poetry daily not weekly. Nothing elaborate just read a poem from our Childcraft encyclopedia.

Note to self, it is so much easier to have everything you need in a one bag. It was a little chaotic today but next week should progress a little more smoothly. I love Fine Arts Friday. It's something different to look forward to at the end of the week when we are all a little tired of the regular routine.

No comments: