I thought we would celebrate autumn harvest with a little unit on corn. I love this book,
Earthways. You see corn everywhere around
amidst cotton field of course. Ideally, you would harvest your corn straight from the fields, but the couple who kindly invited to their little vegetable farm didn't grow any this year. Oh well, at least there were lots of Indian corn at the store. We just did simple little activities, and as you can see from the photos, started after dinner and finished in time for bed. *
grinz*

B. *loves* to sneak a taste regardless of batter!

The boys always do the dishes when we bake or make pancakes.

While we waited for our muffins, the boys helped remove the
kernels from the corn. I was surprised how easy it was to remove them with your fingers. This is B.'s earlier attempts with a spoon. Even he could start shooting off the
kernels. Yes... they eventually became guns. *laughs*

Our muffins were done in the toaster oven! Love this little gadget. We use it bake little batches of muffins, homemade mac-and-cheese, little pizzas. And you don't need to preheat!

And our final craft! We soaked the
kernels overnight to soften. Then we strung them with a needle and thread. I had to help B. but C. did complete a bracelet all by himself. The kids wanted to parade around the neighbourhood as kings.
Incidentally, B. wore his to church the next day. *laughs*
No comments:
Post a Comment