Sunday, August 26, 2012

The School Year

I suppose it's ironic that when everyone is starting school we are taking a break. We've been doing school over the summer in anticipation for this moment - another cross-country move. *laughs* According to my sons' lesson plans, we have clocked in 34 days of full school. That's roughly 7 weeks done. 29 more weeks to go. *laughs* We will be in temporary housing for about a month but I hope to knock off a few weeks then. Why? Because there will be another disruption with moving into the permanent house and also a baby coming late this year. *laughs* I'm used to this much disruption so when I have the opportunity, we school.

Anyhow, figured since we've been consistent for 7 weeks, it's safe to say I won't be changing curriculum for the rest of the year so just for fun, this is what we are doing.

For the most part, I'm using the same curriculum for both boys but at their levels. I like it that way because I'm already familiar with the pacing and how to use the resource. I personally have become less interested in what people use and more in how they use the curriculum and how it has met their goals. So listing the curriculum here is only half the picture. The other half is how we built in mastery & review. This list is basically a continuation from last year. The big difference is that we dropped a formal science program and experiments. Instead, the boys choose whole books to narrate and I gleam science memory work from Everything You Need to Know for Science, Biology4kids and their various websites & Montessori For Everyone 3-part cards (though I don't buy them). This new method has gone over very well. I am less stressed and the boys are free to explore interests while basic scientific facts are still covered.

Schedule

C- Fourth Grade

Day:_____
Checklist Subject Book Lesson
  Spanish Salsa 1 video
  Chinese Chinese Game 1 lesson
  Spanish Getting Started with Spanish 1 lesson
  Math Math Drill Time:             Score:     
    Math-U-See - Fractions 2 worksheets Score:     /100
  Chinese Chinese Made Easy Old & New Lesson
  Memory   Go through memory binder
  Spelling How To Teach Spelling 1 page
  Grammar First Language Lesson 1 lesson
  Writing Writing With Ease 1 lesson
  History Story of the World 3 Listen 1 section. Narrate
      Coloring page or Mapwork
  Read 1 hr Just Stories 1 Story
    Bk: Literature
    Bk: Science
Day:_____
Checklist Subject Book Lesson
  Spanish Salsa 1 video
  Chinese Chinese Game 1 lesson
  Spanish Getting Started with Spanish 1 lesson
  Math Math Drill - Fractions Time:             Score:     
  Math Math-U-See 2 worksheets. Score:     /100
  Chinese Chinese Made Easy Old & New Lesson
  Spanish Getting Started with Spanish 1 lesson
  Memory   Go through memory binder
  Spelling How To Teach Spelling 1 page
  Grammar First Language Lesson 1 lesson
  Writing Writing With Ease 1 lesson
  Science DK Living World Read 2 pages. Narrate
  Read 1 hr Angel Food 1 Story
    Bk: Literature
    Bk: History

B - Second Grade

Day:_____
Checklist Subject Book Lesson
  Spanish Salsa 1 video
  Chinese Chinese Game 1 lesson
  Math Addition Facts Pg:     &
    Multiplication Facts Pg:
  Chinese Chinese Made Easy Old & New Lesson
  Spanish Getting Started with Spanish 1 lesson
  Memory   Go through memory binder
  Spelling How To Teach Spelling Review Trouble Words. New section
  Grammar First Language Lesson 1 lesson
  Writing Writing With Ease 1 lesson
  Reading   Mom reads to you
  Science Charlie Brown Encylopedia 2 pgs. 
  History Story of the World 3 Listen 1 section. Narrate
      Coloring page or Map
  Read 30 min Bigger Stories for Little Folks 1 story
    Bk:  
Day:_____
Checklist Subject Book Lesson
  Spanish Salsa 1 video
  Chinese Chinese Game 1 lesson
  Math Addition Facts Pg:    &
    Multiplication Facts Pg:
  Chinese Chinese Made Easy  Old & New Lesson
  Spanish Getting Started with Spanish 1 lesson
  Memory   Go through memory binder
  Spelling How To Teach Spelling Review Trouble Words. New section
  Grammar First Language Lesson 1 lesson
  Writing Writing With Ease 1 lesson
  Reading   Mom reads to you
  Science Charlie Brown Encylopedia Read 1 section.
  Read 30 min Living God's Law 1 story
    Bk:  


No comments: