Memory: Nursery Rhymes, Fingerplays, Songs
Religion:
Treasure Box Series – Make a Prayer Book alongside
Catechism of the Good Shephered - This resource does require some time to make materials. They have also doubled the price on the Mass kit since I bought it.
Celebrating the liturgical year
A child's bible.
Each day the student should say the rosary and on Friday, say the Stations of the Cross.
Literature:
1000 books’ Picture Books
Arithmetic:
Counting songs & counting
Number games (dominoes, number lotto)
Board games with dice
Make and copy sequences and patterns
Time (clock with moveable hands)
Measuring (ruler, weight scale)
Cooking (measurement)
Money (learn different coins, count pennies)
Living Math’s Early Concepts readers
Hands-on Learning:
Traditional Montessori materials are notoriously expensive. The Practical Life activities are the exception; They can be easily done with things around your house. I did eventually make all of them using cardboard, everyday materiaols and laminated paper but it is extremely time-consuming. So, below I've listed two general groups of resources. The first are Montessori-inspired activities. They are not as time-consuming to gather nor as expensive. However, they are just as effective and your child will not be missing out on a traditional Montessori environment. I, then, went ahead to list traditional Montessori lesson plans found free on the web. Each Montessori album (set of lesson plans) differ slightly from teacher to teacher. I have simply highlighted albums that best match my needs. Feel free to choose from an alternative option but I caution against trying to combine albums. From my personal experience, it simply becomes too overwhelming.
Montessori-Inspired Activities
Jigsaw Puzzles - We have quite a few Melissa and Doug jigsaw puzzles.
My Montessori Journey - a blog that showcases some home-made Montessori-inspired materials
Traditional Montessori Activities
Practical Life lessons - If you have trouble visualizing these presentations, MWEI's is more user-friendly.
Sensorial
Montessori Language - Once again, I prefer Shu-Chen's language lessons, but have benefitted from MWEI's photos and Montessori Materials for printouts.
Montessori Culture - Montessori Materials and mm2-Culture, MM_Science, mm2-_zoology, mm2_geography, all have free printouts.You can also purchase from Montessori for Everyone. You can get world puzzles from Timberdoodle. I've also mounted laminated continent maps on corkboards and hot-glued laminated flag printouts to push-pins. Science experiment materials can be purchased individually at Home Science Tools.
1 comment:
I love this post! We do a lot of Montessori stuff at home. We also attend a Catholic preschool co-op where they do a lot of Montessori activities. They do the "Good Shepard" one with her there, and today when we were putting up our nativity, my daughter says "Look, mommy! The Good Shepard. Jesus is the good Shepard". She is 3. It was so precious :-)
Post a Comment