Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Elaborating on the Philosophy

With the 25 Characteristics of a Montessori education in hand, I thought I would share with you other resources that elaborate more on the philosophy. These resources do touch on specific Montessori materials but more importantly, they show me how to alter our lifestyles and environment to reflect Montessori's insight.

My absolutely favorite source is the Michael Olaf catalogs. Although they do showcase items that you can buy from them, a lot of the suggestions can be easily adapted with materials you have in your house. The articles above the product description are particularly useful. I am always learn something new when I re-read them. Montessori is about a way of life. Observation. Self-control. Freedom. Confidence. Joy.

Another good resource is How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way by Tim Seldin. I like the beginning chapters in preparing the parent and the environment. Once again it's not about stuff. It's about following the child and the family.

No comments: