Monday, May 12, 2008

Can Never Be Too Kind

I was stuck with this quote from Michael Olaf's 3-12 catalog.

We can never be too kind, polite, respectful, to be their role models.


Never be.

Reading that quote reminded how fundamental I am in my children's education. I often get caught up with finding the right materials. Perhaps before I run off buying something, I should instead re-evaluate myself.

What prevents me from being that wonderful role model?

Sometimes it's because I haven't taken care of myself. Not enough sleep. Irregular mealtimes and unhealthy food. Lack of creativity in my day, even if it consists of meal presentation. I've even noticed that when I don't bother to put on a smart set of clothes for the day, I tend to be sloppy in everything I do even parenting.

Sometimes it's because I haven't taken care of the needs of the children. They too need regular sleep and rest time. Don't even mention sugar and growling stomachs. They also crave routines. They truly flourish knowing that they have time to be with Mom, to rest, to play, to read storybooks, to do chores and even a little schoolwork at the dining table. If I spend more time than I allocate on the computer, it throws the whole routine off. And indirectly the needs of both myself and my children are not met.

Sometimes it's because I get too caught up with my expectations instead of embracing the child. A lot of my impatience could have been avoided if I sat back and realize how much time it takes to be a child. There are definitely times to be more efficient. However, for the most part, they tend to understand more fully than I how important it is to be present in the moment. Staring at clouds. Putting on shoes. I have to realize this and not rush the process. Or at least anticipate this gift. I also have to constantly re-evaluate my expectation on the capabilities of my child. How much household chores is too much? Is the curriculum challenging but not frustrating? Can my children really sit still for that period of time? Impatience is more adept to show up when "things aren't going the way as planned".

Being kind, considerate and patient is a lesson in perseverance. As stated in the beginning, I can never be too kind.

1 comment:

grace said...

Hi Genevieve,

This is a beautiful post. I love the part about 'realizing how much time it takes to be a child'. I think about you often and wonder how you are feeling. I can't believe you'll be on the other coast soon! God bless you and your family.

Love,
Erica