You know, the beauty of being on bedrest is that you have no reason not to craft. *smilez* A long time ago, as part of my schooling, all girls were required to take home economics all through high school. I wish I could say I was one of those girls that took the class seriously but honestly I was more the sports captain than the one with the home-sewn skirt. In fact, I think I begged someone to finish that skirt for me. :) Yet, now, I wish I paid more attention.
I want to confess now I'm an amateur seamstress. Whatever I have sewed has hardly ever been allowed to step out of the house. *grinz* But after a year of making bits and pieces, I'm ready to sew a functional wardrobe. Okay, I admit. I found out that my oldest son has absolutely no winter clothes other than a jacket. So my next project (after I finish making the nursing cover and a sling) would be to try my hand at some KwikSew patterns. Their book seems like a great value especially since I can already see at least 3 different outfits I would love to sew.
As for fabric, of course you could go to places like Jo-Anns but do I really want to? I think not. I have a small stash of cloth I got when I was in me second trimester at a little local fabric store. Lovely, lovely place. However, since I doubt I ever would be able to leave this house again unless it's on a plane to Boston, I turn to my ever faithful UPS man. :) Thanks to the lovely ladies at 4real for some recommendations on online sources for fabric.
Why does one create? I doubt any of these clothes would be cheaper than what you could get at Goodwill or at a garage sale. With my soon-to-be-four in tow, I am not that brave. I *could* stake out Landsend online outlet store. Making my own clothes, curtains and such truly serves two purpose. One is functionality. We need clothes. You could argue against the curtains but shhhh... don't tell my husband that. For the most part, it helps to soothe my soul. A lot of these handicrafts are repetitive. While I piece together an outfit, I find myself praying. The intimate-talking-to-God-kind of praying. And I don't have to worry about falling asleep during my prayers.
I wish I could wax poetry about how special it has been for my family that we create. But I can't. I write like a drill sargent. To the point but hardly philosophical. Could I show you the faces of C. when I presented him his very own set of red flannel pajamas? He's already picked out some embroidery to go on the pocket. Just today, B. and I were playing with the ocean animals we made as a family out of scupley. In fact, we are in the midst of making a checker set out of self-hardening clay featuring The Knight and the Dragon by dear dePaola. You can be sure that between my sketches and their painting, it won't be esty-perfect. Still the the children are anxiously waiting for the clay to harden. The whole family has at one point picked up my knitting needles to help knit the twins' sweaters. It's a gift of love and labor. Making them takes time. And I can make the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment