I was surprised at the variety of activities they each requested. I've been dreaming of that creative homeschool for so long but never able to attain it. But within a week that dream became a reality. We were joyful. We were creative. We even did some phonics and math! How did this come to be?
They were joyful because they got to spend time with Mommy. They knew that whatever they suggested I would usually say yes. I do say no to jumping off the roof. *grinz* I'm again amazed and humble how my presence and active participation is all my children want. I'm also amazed at how easy it is to be distracted and impatient with my children during these times. Lissa recently wrote about what I went through
That kind of patience is about enduring the present moment until a better oneTruth be told I stumbled on a little remedy to this problem and that is the Curious George soundtrack. Jack Johnson's voice is so soothing and the melody is jazzy yet relaxing. We always put it on when we play monopoly. It gets me into a good mood. It slows me down. I even can happily wait for my son to figure out his change. I know this sounds like a quick fix but I'm trying to build a habit within me. And with all habits, I start small and use whatever tools on hand. And so soothing music in the background that gets me to calm down and hum along has helped tremendously.
comes along. It’s a gritting-one’s-teeth-and-getting-through-it state of mind.
I have always liked the creative aspects of unit studies but never could pull it off. But when I began to ask the children what they wanted to do, a natural unit study forms. Actually it's more like multiple simultaneous unit-studies . One day we are baking cakes after reading A Birthday for Frances. Another day we are making little homemade books on Thomas the Tank Engine. These are ideas that seem to be from pre-written unit study. Only they aren't. They aren't even planned. The kids just come up with the idea spur-of-the-moment after breakfast. It makes me ponder about my role in this process.
Some of these ideas were introduced by me like making little handmade books. They must have loved that idea because they have requested to make three other separate ones. So I find myself relieved knowing that I don't have pre-plan all these creative ideas all the time. If the introduction works, they would ask to do these activities again and again on their own accord. I might have to re-introduce them again at a later date but it's doesn't have to be written down as a weekly activity.
Some of these ideas were introduced by books and videos. The recent obsession with Usborne Science activity books is a good example. I'm thinking that instead of buying educational resources/curriculum that is written for me, I should get those that appeal to my children directly. They could be worked upon independently like some workbooks or require some help for mom like those science experiments. But they are not waiting on me to introduce them to new ideas. They are the ones begging me to do those lessons not the other way around. My role would then be to help make those ideas become a reality. My time would shift from lesson planning to resource gathering. Let the books do the teaching as Charlotte Mason advised.
These past few months' experience seem to coincide with the process of Collaborative Learning. I like the author's description of the different stages. It respects the child and his vocation in life. It fosters independence and confidence. It a relationship-based education. These are all noble goals to work towards which brings me back to my post title. When I take an active interest in my children, I hope to communicate to them that they are special. That their ideas and their desires for self-development are important. I think the more in tune and comfortable they are with themselves, the more discerning they will be of God's will for them instead of society's expectations. And truly that is what I want our home education to be about.
2 comments:
I lo0ve it - the story of being a yes mum ( I eed to do more of that mysekf right now); the impromptu child led unit study; the link reminder of collaborative learning.
I was feeling guilty about our Easter octvave week - work stuff for me, for the kids a litle bit of writing and lots of Guitar Hero, Singstar, some reading, friends over. Your post reminds me that joy is important, too - something I can forget when I am busy...
Wow! Great post and Leonie's comment is spot-on too. Thank you for causing me to ponder how becoming a Yes Mom would look at this time in my life.
Post a Comment