I've read somewhere that it takes one month to build up a new habit and honestly, it has taken me that long for most of my resolutions. All old good habits are maintained as I try on a new habit. Building a new habit is similar to running a marathon. The first few steps are exciting as you imagine untold glory at the finishing line. Then those emotions give way to monotony as you place one foot before the other. You wonder whether this is all really worth it as you see other runners pull ahead. Why is it so much easier for them? As the run progresses, monotony is replaced with dread & gloom. Why is it taking so long? Your body is aching with the unaccustomed strain. Time seems to stand still as you run blindly in the dark. You can barely remember the goal or its purpose. The only thing that keeps you going is your Friend. He carries your heart and soul as your body fights through the fatigue and pain. And there it is. The finishing line. You see it and your strength returns. Your pace quickens and it's over. You crossed the finishing line. You gives thanks! The feeling is like being carried on angel's wings. As you stare around yourself in elation and self-wonder, you might in time convince yourself that you did it all by yourself. No matter. He knows in time you would need Him again. And again He would come to your aid. Again and again. And you would hopefully remember better over time.
------
My resolution for this month really is a lifelong one. It is to reacquaint myself with my Friend. I am a young mother with two young kids. I am a mother in a single car family who moves with the change of the breeze. My cross is isolation and nonrecognition. There I said it. Margaret's post has made me realize that I do have a Friend always by my side. He is someone who would never let me down. He is ever-present. Ever loving and ever kind. I'm ashamed to admit I'm not sure how to go about this. I do pray to him often. I give thanks. I offer sacrifices. I beg. But when was the last time I just sit and chat. Do I think of him as my Friend? Or more as a Supreme Being. All powerful yet kept at a distance. God only gives you what you need. Perhaps He gives me the simple life now because I need that in order to see Him. To love Him. To be His friend.

--------
Have you ever had a "Jesus hug",
Do you know what one feels like?
If you've never had a "Jesus hug",
I pray one day you might.
A "Jesus hug" is different,
As far as hugging goes;
It's a little taste of Heaven,
Here on earth below.
Only those who love the Lord,
Can give a "Jesus hug";
It conveys God's grace and mercy,
And unconditional love.
Those who give out "Jesus hugs"
Always seem to somehow know
Just when you're in need of one
To make your spirit glow.
And if you ever need one
I hope that I will see,
So I can give you a "Jesus hug";
Just like someone did for me.
By Jan McIntosh
3 comments:
This is a very beautiful, honest post Genevieve. I am striving to get to know Jesus better also, not only as Lord but as friend as well.
And can I tell you that I love that you added that gorgeous photo to your blog? Now I know what you look like and can picture you in my mind! :)
Love, Rebecca
Genevieve, This is so beautiful. I dont think I ever thought about just sitting and having a chat with Him as a friend. This is wonderful the way you see having a simple life in order to see Him. I love your post.
This is beautiful. I have never thought of Him as a Friend. Thank you!
Post a Comment