Thursday, July 13, 2006

Homemade Montessori-type materials

Theresea over at 4real wanted to see a few examples of homemade Montessori type materials I've made over the past two years. Just to let you know, I've gathered my inspiraiton from Montessori World and Do Touch. Honestly, I love all the books Kim recommended under her Montessori column. So here are just a few things I have made.

Dimension



These are made out of cardboard, filled with rice, painted and scotched-taped to cover.



The turtles to the left are made out of sheet protectors and permanent markers.



Color - Grab color samples from the paint section.

Shapes
I got the templates here. Scroll down to constructive triangles & geometric cabinet.



Printed onto construction paper and laminated.



Cut out using felt. They can be laid on top of each other.



The template was glued onto cardboard, cut out, painted and scotch-taped to cover.

Touching



Tasting - C. guesses what he is eating. I might put assortment of fruits and vegetables. Simply tasting salt, sugar, vinegar wasn't as fun!

Sandpaper Letters



Glitter glue was applied for the sandpaper effect.

Movable letters and reading cards were printed from Montessori Materials

Practical life
The kids simply help along household chores. We do transferring activities every once in a while.



We've used pom-poms, buttons, beans, pebbles and marbles.



We've poured beans, rice and water.

Numbers
I take ten plastic cups and label them 1 to 10. We use different things to count. Currently it's small plastic animal models. *grinz* It used to be Cheerios. They taste so much better afterwards.

Don't miss out some great handwork activitiesat MWEI.

In my opinion, if you didn't want to invest in a lot of time and resources, Do Touch is the book to get. It covers the basics in an inventive manner using commonly found materials. Moreover they store easily in a compact manner.



Last but not least my CGS figurines. Real life figures are protrayed by dowel and wooden balls with a flat surface (??). The parables are protrayed with wooden blocks with prints decoupaged on them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your handmade materials, Genevieve. I am sure they took quite a bit of time (and creativity!) to make. Your children are blessed to have such a thoughtful mother.

Theresa said...

This is great! Gives me so many ideas!
Questions: What is done with the blocks in the first picture?
Are the turtles for matching one atop the other?
How are the ones labeled "touch" used?
Thanks!
Theresa

Genevieve said...

Rebecca & Theresa, thank you for your kind words. Honestly most of my inspirations came fron Do Touch. Theresa, the blocks are the broad stairs. Check them out here
http://homepage.mac.com/montessoriworld/mwei/sensory/sstair.html
You build them like a staircase. The turtles are indeed matched one atop the other. For the touch materials, you blindfold her and ask her to pair different cloths up.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, Genevieve. This is great!

Anonymous said...

I ordered Do Touch after being inspired by this blog entry! I've made some of the activities in the "Sticks" section. I'm wondering about using craft foam instead of sponge cloth for the "Sponges" activities--what do you think?

Genevieve said...

Dawn,
That's exactly what I used. They are easy to cut into different shapes. I didn't try to cut them into alphabets but instead used wooden puzzles. I've also used some of their precut shapes for some of their sticker activities. So glad someone else is enjoying making the activities. Happy making!